The Benefits of Running Every Day

As a senior trial lawyer, I spend my work days buried in legal precedents, police reports, affidavits, and other dense paperwork in preparation for my various cases. It’s rewarding work, but very sedentary. As you might imagine, it involves a lot of sitting while reading files and sitting in meetings with clients and colleagues. 

A few years into my now three-decade-plus-long career, I decided that I would have to make a concerted attempt to get regular exercise for the sake of both my health and my sanity. So, I took up running. It was one of the best decisions I ever made.

I should give some background first. Although I work in an urban setting (for a long time it was in Toronto, Canada’s largest city, but I now work out of an office in Hamilton, Ontario, which is home to more than 500,000 people), a while back, I moved my personal residence to a farm. The farm is located in Ancaster, Ontario, which is a peaceful, pastoral town located just outside Hamilton. The scenery is beautiful, and it provides a wonderful respite from the hectic hustle and bustle of city life. 

Surrounded by rolling hills and open fields on all sides, I found the perfect environment to embrace my newfound hobby of running. Each morning, I wake up, strap on my sneakers, and set out on a lengthy run. The crisp morning air invigorates me as I make my way through the town’s many trails. Usually, the only traffic I encounter are other runners, as well as the occasional deer or rabbit. It’s been a tremendous boon for my mental health. It quiets the mind to the point where I can get a lot of thinking done.

I’ve also found the intrinsic physical benefits of running every day to be quite remarkable. Both I and my general practitioner have noticed that my cardiovascular fitness has improved significantly. My blood pressure is down. My resting heart rate is nearly ideal. Past that, running has toned my muscles and strengthened my joints, serving to alleviate the stiffness that often accompanies hours spent behind a desk. It’s truly incredible how something as simple as a daily running regimen can make such a profoundly positive difference in how I feel physically and mentally.

If you’re considering incorporating more exercise into your daily routine, I recommend exploring the benefits of running. But I will add one caution: if you’re a total beginner, it might be wise to start at a less intense pace, perhaps with a short jog around your neighbourhood or a leisurely stroll through a nearby park, and then gradually ramp up to full-on running. And although it may seem like a chore at first, believe me, before you know it, you will look forward to it as one of the highlights of your day.

Speaking for myself, running amongst the lovely countryside of Ancaster has transcended mere exercise—it’s become something of a cherished ritual that nourishes my soul and enhances my quality of life. It helps me shake off the stress and anxiety of the daily grind, and just makes me feel better overall. 


Popular posts from this blog

The 5 Essential Pieces of Running Gear

Best Recipe Ideas for Farm-Fresh Honey

Farm Life with Scottish Highland Cattle